On July 11th, my wonderful sister threw Greg and I one awesome going away party. Complete with 2 tents, teekie torches, centerpieces on tables outside and music, it was great. My whole family was there (my sister Michelle and her husband Chad - our roomies and hosts of the party, my mom, my little sister Kim and my older brother Chuck). My extended family was there as well- my great uncle, great aunt, uncle, cousins and their children. Greg's family was there as well. His mom and her husband Izzy, his father and his wife Tammy, and his grandparents. I was wonderful to have them there and see them one last time before I left. Also some of Greg's friends were there. (Greg doesn't leave SC until our home is ready to move into on Aug 6th).
The food was delicious. We had low country boil with shrimp, sausage, potatoes and corn. There were also oysters ready for shucking. At the beginning of the night, my little sister said she needed gloves. Now I have never used gloves to shuck oysters but I guess she needs them. A little ways into the party, I see her come out of the tents holding out her hands saying "Christy, I think I need stiches!" I grabbed a paper towel, hold pressure on the bleeding wound - which she had to tell me which hand was bleeding since both were covered in blood - and then she proceeds to tell me she feels like she is going to pass out. By this time, my sister - who is a nurse anesthetist and my mom -who is a nurse, were there and helped escort Kim into the house. Once she got into the house, she passed out cold in the floor. Now she was out. Any non medical person would have called 911 at this point but in our family you need to have CPR started to get a 911 call. My sister put alcohol wipes under her nose, my mom waved cool air on her and put ice on her forehead, and I continued to hold pressure. She came to in about 3 minutes, but my brother saw her on the floor and flipped - he is definately nonmedical. He kept yelling at her to get up and stop playing - all of this she doesn't remember. Needless to say she woke up, we cleaned the wound - which was not bleeding at all by this point, and put steri strips on it. This makes for a great story but I think Kim will shy away from shucking oysters for a little bit.
The rest of the night was calm compared to that excitement. Michelle got people to play rock band and Greg and I didn't go to bed until 2AM. This may have been the latest I have stayed up without being on call.
Thank you to everyone who came to make one of Greg and I's last days in SC a most memorable night. I will post pictures of the party once I upload my sister's pictures.
Wednesday, July 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment