Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Moving with the Air Force

So we've had our first encoutner with the Air Force move. I had to travel to Columbia, SC to Ft. Jackson to attend a briefing on military moves. Almost everyone attending this briefing was in their military uniform and I was there in shorts and a t-shirt. I don't think anyone there really thought I was military. This lady came in and explained all the steps to getting your house packed up and moved from one place to the other. She wasn't happy with me because I asked too many questions and then I didn't know the address of our storage unit to put on the forms. She had to wait on me to call Greg to get the information for her. This process took 2.5 hours and now I am still having problems. We originally signed up for July 7th as our move date but now we are trying to get our move on June 29th. Hopefully our "assigned" moving company will be able to make the switch....

So this is how the move is supposed to go. They come out and do an appraisal of our house to see how long it will take and how much packing stuff they'll need. A few guys come out and pack up everything... Yes I don't have to pack a thing!!! (I do have to make sure everything is out of the attic and off the walls) Then they load it all up on a truck and take it to Virginia. It should be delivered in 7-14 days. I'll let you guys know how the move actually goes and Ill post picks of the packing.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Christy, friend of Beth's here. I was a Navy Civilian when I moved to DC and they PCS'd my stuff for me. I had to go to Ft. Jackson and go through all that too! I can only hope your move goes as smoothly as mine did (apparently I was lucky).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am now laughing b/c I didn't realize you had to rank your choices until reading more of your blog. You didn't know where Langley was when you ranked it? Ha!

    ReplyDelete